Friday, March 28, 2008

#22

22. You work in an office. Generally, you are popular with your coworkers. However, you discover that there are currently two rumors circulating the office gossip mill, and both involve you. The first rumor is that you got drunk at the office holiday party and had sex with one of your married coworkers. This rumor is completely true, but most people don’t believe it. The second rumor is that you have been stealing hundreds of dollars of office supplies (and then selling them to cover a gambling debt). This rumor is completely false, but virtually everyone assumes it is factual.

Which of these two rumors is most troubling to you?

My first instinct was to say the stealing to cover gambling debts, because it makes me look out of control with my life...but then again so does sleeping with a married woman...and could get me fired and/or thrown in jail for stealing company property. After thinking about it though, it would be far worse to be thought of as an adulterer (is that even a word?) than a thief with a gambling problem. I don't want to be viewed as immoral or morally corrupt. If people want to think I'm stealing staplers and copy paper, that's far less damaging and would be a lot easier to prove that I was innocent.

No comments: