Friday, March 28, 2008

#19

19. Your best friend is taking a nap on the floor of your living room. Suddenly, you are faced with a bizarre existential problem: This friend is going to die unless you kick them (as hard as you can) in the rib cage. If you don’t kick them while they slumber, they will never wake up. However, you can never explain this to your friend; if you later inform them that you did this to save their life, they will also die from that. So you have to kick a sleeping friend in the ribs, and you can’t tell them why.

Since you cannot tell your friend the truth, what excuse will you fabricate to explain this (seemingly inexplicable) attack?

Why doesn't this one have the option to not kick your friend? Not saying I would choose that option, but maybe your best friend is dying of cancer and letting them (more or less) sleep to death would be a peaceful end to his suffering. Huh? What about that? Since apparently that's not an option, I would say that I tried to gently wake him up but he didn't even move, so then I tried to violently shake him awake and still nothing. At that point I was worried something was wrong, so I kicked him in the stomach figuring if he was dead, it wouldn't matter, or if he wasn't, then that would wake him up. Totally believable...or I'm getting kicked in the stomach and then that's the end of that.

No comments: