Friday, March 28, 2008

#12

12) You meet a wizard in downtown Chicago. The wizard tells you he can make you more attractive if you pay him money. When you ask how this process works, the wizard points to a random person on the street. You look at this random stranger. The wizard says, "I will now make them a dollar more attractive." He waves his magic wand. Ostensibly, this person does not change at all; as far as you can tell, nothing is different. But--somehow--this person is suddenly a little more appealing. The tangible difference is invisible to the naked eye, but you can't deny that this person is vaguely sexier. This wizard has a weird rule, though--you can only pay him once. You can't keep giving him money until you're satisfied. You can only pay him one lump sum up front.

How much cash do you give the wizard?

This is a phenomenal question. And not just because it involves a wizard...because that's pretty awesome on its own accord...but this question could actually tell you something about a person's character. I would go about this rationally, unless I had all kinds of money, then I'd pay him like $10,000 just to see how out of control he actually was. But for now, I'm very cash poor, so I'd try to figure out the cost effectiveness of the wizard. If $1 made a random stranger more attractive, but without any physical changes that were immediately noticeable, then would $10 make me 10x more attractive than the $1 made the stranger? Or is the wizard just blowing smoke up my ass and the extent of his power was used on the stranger? Its tough to say...but I'd probably end up giving him $20-$50, something that could potentially produce a greater impact than the $1's worth did to the stranger, but not so much that I couldn't let go of if the wizard was full of crap.

No comments: