Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Banks, Boeing & Spanish holidays

So it's mid afternoon on the Tuesday after Cinco de Mayo, and technically I'm still employed by WaMu...even though they're paying me not to come in to the office. Yep. My last day in the office was April 30th, and yet they're paying me my regular 40 hours/week through May 15th...and then they're paying out my vacation and giving me 7.5 weeks of severance pay. So while getting laid off sucks, its actually working out pretty well for me. What makes it even better is that I already have another job I'll be starting on May 16th, working for/with the same two guys I was working for/with at WaMu...only now it'll be at Wells Fargo. Still downtown, still doing more or less the same job and I'll even be getting a little raise in my salary. w00t! And if that weren't enough, I interviewed at Boeing last Friday for a position in the Finance department there (which is where I want to go with my career right now) and should be hearing back on that some time this week! That would be (more than likely) a substantial raise in the paycheck, and would give me more chances to see what else is out there for me to do beyond banking/mortgages...and I'd be working up at the Everett plant where my roommate also works, so we'd be hooking up Chang's on a weekly basis....AWESOME!

So all in all, things are going pretty well for me right now, which is a big change from a week (maybe 10 days0 ago when I was stressing out big time over being laid off and if I'd be able to follow my team to the new office...wherever that was going to be.

I also had a pretty fantastic Cinco de Mayo yesterday. Met my buddy at Azteca in the late afternoon for some cervezas and patron. Delicious. Throw in some taquitos and some chips & salsa and it was the perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in a low key, but still fun kind of way. We had planned to forgo the big celebration idea, and opt for trivia night at our favorite little German pub later in the evening, but that unfortunately didn't happen. Instead we chilled at my place for awhile, and I ended up taking a nice little nap. When I woke up, another friend of mine called me and told me about a party going on in Magnolia with some beer pong action. Sweet!! It had been awhile since I'd seen him, and even longer since I'd played beer pong so I was stoked. Funny thing about this party was it was being hosted at the exact same house where a friend of mine (the guy who joined me at Azteca actually) lived during college. So random. So I ate some nachos, played some beer pong, some hockey (fun drinking game I'd never heard of before) and had a really fun time just kicking it with a bunch of people I mostly didn't know, a few I'd met once or twice, and then one guy I used to work with. It was great.

So that's what's going on with me lately. I've been effectively laid off and yet I'll get a normal paycheck on Friday, all the while I'm staying up late, partying some, sleeping in daily and enjoying these two weeks of job freedom. I can only hope that my new job path at Wells or Boeing will keep the good times coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.